Pudalangai / Snake Gourd Poriyal

This is a simple side dish which goes well with rice. This has been lying in my draft folder for a long time. I thought of posting it today. I usually add grated coconut to all the poriyal dishes. This habit came from my mom. When I was attending yoga classes my teacher told me that coconut when cooked gives a lot of calories to the food. But when it is taken raw the calorie count is lesser. So she advised me to add coconut after switching off the flame and to transfer the dish immediately to a serving bowl. So from that day I follow her advice. Hope this will be useful for you also.



Ingredients:
Snake gourd-1cup(cut into small pieces)
Cabbage-1/2cup(chopped to thin strips)
Onion-1
Green chilly-2
Coconut grated-2tbs
Salt-to taste
Turmeric powder-1/4tsp


Procedure:
1. Mix salt and turmeric powder to snake gours pieces and keep it aside for 30minutes.
2. This will let out water. Drain it and add the pieces to boiling water and cook till soft. Drain water and keep it aside.
3. In a pan, heat oil and splutter mustard and urad dhal. Add the curry leaves and onions.
4. Saute till translucent.
5. Add cabbage and finely cut green chillies.
6. Saute for 1minute.
7. Add the cooked snake gourd and salt to taste. Give it a nice stir.
8. There should be no water left in the pan. When the veggies become dry switch off flame and add coconut.
9. Mix well and transfer to a serving dish.
10. Enjoy..

Labels: ,