Kashmiri Dum Aloo


I got this recipe from a news paper cutting, collected when I was studying college. Usually I don't prepare this because my hubby doesn't like this type of subzi for rotis. He always needs a gravy to go with rotis. So while preparing Dum aloo I took half of the prepared dish and added cashew paste to make it a gravy. Even then I couldn't bring it to gravy consistency. So he didn't like it. But who cares? I loved it. He had some tomato gravy for his rotis. I really enjoyed it from morning till evening. It is very easy to prepare. The toughest part is the peeling of baby potatoes. If some one is there to help you with this, then the dish takes a little time for preparation. As i didn't have saunf powder, I added 1tsp of saunf to oil. And I added the normal red chilly powder.


Ingredients:


Baby Potatoes-250gm
Thick Curd-1/2cup
Saunf Powder-3tsp
Dried Ginger powder-1tsp
Garam masala-1/2tsp
Kashmiri red chilly powder-2tsp
Cloves-3
Oil-3tbs
Salt- to taste
Water-1cup
Cashew-2tbs


Procedure:


1. Grind cashew to a fine paste.
2. Boil water and add the baby potatoes. When cooked remove from water, peel and prick all sides with a tooth pick.
3. Deep fry the potatoes till dark brown in colour and keep aside.
4. In a pan heat 3tbs oil. Add cloves and fennel seeds. When splutters add the beaten curd. 
5. Add all the masala powders and cashew paste. Saute till oil is seperated.
6. Add the potatoes and water. when it starts boiling switch flame to low and cover the pan.
7. Cook till all the water evaporates.
8. Transfer to a serving dish .
9. Serve hot with rotis.

Labels: ,