Beetroot Greens and Sprouts Pulao

I bought two beetroot with the greens. I have never tried with these greens. As there is an event going on, I wanted to use these in any of my recipies. Iprepared this pulao with some moong sprouts. This is a one pot meal which is very easy to prepare and it goes well with any raitha. We relished it with cucumber raitha. It was so nice, even my daughter liked it. I prepared it with less green chillies just for my daughter. You can add more if you want it hot. I am sending this to Only Green hosted by Sara and started by Pari.





Ingredients:


Rice-1 1/2cup
Beetroot green-1cup(I used the stalk also)
Moong sprouts- 1/4cup
Onion-2
Ginger-a small piece
Garlic-5 pods
Green chilly-3
Coriander-a hand full
Mint-a hand full
Fennel-1tsp
Cinnamon-a small piece
Clove-2
Bay leaf-1
Water-6cups(I cooked it in a open pan. If cooked in a cooker add 4 1/2 cups)
Oil-2tbs
Ghee-1tbs
Salt-to taste


Procedure:


1. In a mixer grinder grind fennel,ginger,garlic,mint,coriander and green chillies without adding water. The mixture should be coarse.
2. In a pan heat oil and add cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves.
3. When splutters add onion and saute till translucent.
4. Add the ginger garlic mixture and saute till the raw smell vanishes.
5. Add the chopped greens and the sprouts.
6. Add little water and switch flame to low. Close pan and let the sprouts cook in the steam. Stir it in between.
7. When the sprouts are cooked and the water has evaporated add the 6cups of water and salt. Bring to boil.
8. Add the washed and drained rice and let it cook. Stir it often to avoid sticking of rice to the bottom.
9. When the rice is 90% cooked add ghee and give it a nice mix. Close the pan and switch flame to low.
10. When the rice is thoroughly cooked, switch off flame and let it rest for 10minutes.
11. Fluff the rice with fork and serve hot with raitha.

Labels: , ,