Semiya Kesari

Navarathri has started. So I will be posting a sweet, a sundal  and a variety rice recipe daily. Today I prepared Semiya kesari which is a very easy and tasty dish. My hubby likes this a lot. At first I didn't know how to prepare this. When I prepared it for the first time I overcooked it and Kesari became crispy and very hard to chew. But in my home all ate it with a bit of complaining. Then I started experimenting (because it was my hubby's favoriteand I had to do it) and now I think I have mastered it??I am sending this to Festive Foods - Sweet / Savory versions started by Sharmi and hosted by Veggie platter







The Recipe:
Ingredients:

Vermicelli-1cup
Sugar-1/2cup
Water-2cups
Cashew-10
Ghee-3tbs
Cardamom powder-1/2tsp
Food color-1/4tsp

Procedure:

1. Heat 2tsp ghee and roast the vermicelli till golden brown.
2. Allow it to cool in a plate.
3. Boil water with cardamom powder and food color.
4. Add vermicelli and cook on medium flame until there is no water left. 
5. Add sugar and when the sugar melts and starts to boil switch off stove.
6. Heat remaining ghee in a separate pan and add broken cashew. 
7. Roast till golden brown and add it to the kesari and mix well. Cool and serve.
8. The kesari seems to be of running consistency when hot. But when cool you are sure to get soft vermicelli kesari. If the sugar boils more then the result will be a hard to chew kesari. So don't be afraid if it is runny. Enjoy!

Labels: ,