Peerkangai Thol Thuvaiyal (Ridge Gourd Skin Chutney)

The thuvaiyal is the recipe of my mom. I just gave a small twist to the thuvaiyal recipe to suit my needs. I have been suffering from severe cold for more than 10 days. Karpuravalli Leaves are great medicine for curing cold. So I just added those herbs in the recipe to treat my cold. It came out great. I have a Karpuravalli plant in my kitchen garden and so I was happy to put them to use.


Karpuravalli Leaf




Ingredients for Thuvaiyal:

Skin of 2 ridge gourds
Karpuravalli Leaves- 15nos
Garlic-10pods
Cilantro- a handful
Mint leaves- a handful
Hing-1/4tsp
Green Chilly-3
Tamarind- a lemon sized ball
Salt- to taste
Oil-1tbs
Till oil-4tbs
Mustard and urad dhal-1tsp

Procedure:

1. Heat 1tbs of any vegetable oil and add cilantro, garlic, mint, green chillies, skin of ridge gourd and the herb.
2.Saute for a minute and add tamarind soaked in 1/2 cup of water.
3. Add more water to cook the ingredients and salt to taste.
4. When it is fully cooked grind it to a fine paste.
5. Heat till oil and add mustard, urad dhal and hing.
6. Now add the paste slowly and mix well.
7. Cover it and let it cook on low flame until oil floats.
8. Serve it with Idli, Dosa or curd rice. It can also be used as spread for bread slices.

Labels: , ,