Baingan Bartha

Lately there are so many Baingan Bartha recipes in the blogosphere. I wanted to try it. This was my first attempt.I saw this recipe at Manjulas Kitchen. I added onion and garlic to the original recipe to suit our taste.
My hubby hates brinjal. When I purchased the big brinjal he warned me that he will not eat it. I said it was okay because I was preparing the dish for me. Yesterday I prepared rotis and when he came home I served him the rotis with Baingan Bartha. He asked me about the dish and I kept mum. He tasted it and told that it tastes very good but couldn't say about the vegetable I used for it. And atlast I told him the truth and he was surprised because it didn't taste like brinjal at all. And here comes my success recipe....

Ingredients:

Brinjal-1 Big
Red Bell Pepper-1
Onion-2
Tomato-3
Galic and Ginger Paste-2tbs
Cumin-1tsp
Milk-1cup
Green Chilly-1
Red chilly powder-1tsp
Turmeric Powder-1/4tsp
Salt-to taste
Cilantro- for garnishing

Procedure:

1. Heat 1tbs oil and add finely cut red bell pepper. Saute for 1 minute and keep it aside.
2. Grind ginger,garlic, tomatoes and green chilly to a fine paste.
3. Heat 1tbs oil and add cumin seeds. When they splutter add onion.
4. Saute till golden brown in colour.
5. Keep the brinjal in the oven tray lined with butter paper and bake it at maximum temp for 45 minutes. Turn the side for every 15 minutes.
6. Let it cool. Remove skin and chop it into small pieces.
7. Add the tomato paste to the onions and cook till oil seperates.
8. Add brinjal, red chilly powder, turmeric and salt. Mash well.
9. Cook it on low flame until the raw smell is gone.
10. Add bell pepper and garnish with cilantro.
11. If you want it as a gravy add 1cup of milk and bring it to boil and serve hot with rotis.

Photo Tutorial:


The brinjal suitable for the dish

Bake for 45 minutes

After baking let it cool

Remove skin.

Chop it to small pieces

Fry red pepper for 1 minute

Add milk to make it a gravy.

Labels: ,